Being able to communicate effectively in English is a critical requirement for every seafarer in the maritime industry. The ability to listen, read, and understand the English language is critical in ensuring operational effectiveness and safety on board. The Maritime English Proficiency Test is designed to evaluate your English listening and reading skills while at the same time presenting real-life scenarios tailored to the maritime industry. The test applies to Ratings and Operational Level Deck Officers.
The Maritime English Proficiency Test aims to ensure that trainees possess the knowledge, understanding, and proficiency in English set out in the STCW Code. The questions have been developed in accordance with the IMO Model Course on Maritime English, Core section 2, Specialised Maritime English (SME) for Ratings, and Operational Level Deck Officers in charge of a navigational watch on ships of 500 GT or more.
The Maritime English Proficiency Test consists of:
- A short video describing what will be assessed and how to best prepare yourself for the test.
- Series of articles and audio clips that capture real-life scenarios onboard.
- Examination via single-choice, true/false, and missing word question types.
- English Proficiency Certificate received upon completion.
There are no prerequisites for this test; however, the content and associated terminology are tailored to the maritime industry.
This test aims to assess Ratings and Operational Level Deck Officers' listening and reading skills in Maritime English.
Ratings and Operational Level Deck Officers in charge of navigational equipment on ships of 500 GT or more.
Estimated duration: 60 min
Test attempts: 2
Passing score: 50%
Certificate Validity: Indefinite
We recommend the usage of a wired internet connection. Please note that connection via mobile internet is also possible; however, it is considered highly unstable and might cause your exam's failure.
Supported Internet Browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Edge
• Windows 8 or higher with latest updates installed
• MacOS 10.12 Siera or higher with latest updates installed
• Apple iOS 11 or higher with latest updates installed